As an international student, can I take part in co-op and internship programs?

If you are in an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution that requires work experience, such as a co-op or internship placement, you will need a work permit as well as a study permit.
To get a work permit, you must prove that the work experience is essential to completing your program. Acceptable proof could include a letter from the school you are attending or a copy of the school curriculum.
The work experience cannot be more than 50% of your total program of study.
If you are studying English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL), or participating in general interest or preparatory courses, you are not eligible for a co-op work permit.
For more information, see Work permits for students – Co-op and internship programs.

Call Us
Open chat