I’m waiting for my post-graduation work permit. Can I travel outside Canada and come back with my student visa?

Yes, you can leave Canada and return, as long as your visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is still valid.
If your visa or eTA is expired, you will have to apply for and receive a new one before you leave.
When you return to Canada:
– You may enter as student if your study permit is still valid.
– If we approved your post-graduation work permit while you were away, you may enter as a worker.
– If we are still processing your post-graduation work permit, you may enter as a visitor. You can’t work until you get your post-graduation work permit. The officer at the port of entry may ask you to prove you have enough money to support yourself in Canada.
– You have the option to re- apply for a new work permit, and pay the fees, at the port of entry if you meet all other applicable entry requirements. Once you are in Canada, you can use this web form to withdraw your previous application.
A border officer will have some questions for you when you arrive back in Canada. If the officer believes there is reason to refuse your re-entry, you will not be able to re-enter Canada.
The officer at the port of entry may ask you for a copy of your extension application, the fee payment receipt, and any other document to prove you applied for an extension.

Call Us
Open chat