I have applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?

Yes, you can leave Canada and return, as long as your visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is still valid.
If your visa or eTA is expired, you will have to apply for and receive a new one before you leave.
When you return to Canada:
– If your study permit is still valid, you may enter as student.
– If we extended your study permit while you were away, you may enter as student.
– If we are still processing your study permit extension, you may enter as a visitor. You can’t study until you get your study permit extension. The officer at the port of entry may ask you to prove you have enough money to support yourself in Canada.
– You have the option to re-apply for a new study permit, and pay the fees, at the port of entry if you are a citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S. or a resident of Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon. Once you are in Canada, you can use this web form to withdraw your previous application.

A border officer will have some questions for you when you arrive back in Canada. If the officer believes there is reason to refuse your re-entry, you will not be able to re-enter Canada.
The officer at the port of entry may ask you for a copy of your extension application, the fee payment receipt, and any other document to prove you applied for an extension.

Call Us